Eleven Things to Consider When Choosing an IoT Platform
The Internet of Things (IoT) revolution is well underway. More than one in five global enterprises surveyed by Forrester last year rely on IoT, and the use of connected devices is skyrocketing in sectors as diverse as transportation, energy, manufacturing, and retail. This dramatic growth makes choosing an IoT platform a critical decision for your organization.
You may be ready to transform your business, but unsure how to make sense of the hundreds of available platforms. How do you know which IoT platform is right for you? When weighing your options, keep a few things in mind. Your IoT platform should:
- Have end-to-end enterprise-grade security
- Have established procedures for updating security
- Allow devices to be authenticated and authorized individually to control which devices can access the network
- Offer role-based access control (RBAC) and multi-factor authentication
- Provide both real-time data analysis and insight into long-term trends
- Support integration between products from different manufacturers and integrate with products your company currently uses or plans to use
- Be easy to update as technologies, protocols, and standards change
- Be user friendly for both technical and non-technical users alike
- Have redundant connections (4G/5G, land-line, multi-carriers, RF) so that there is not a single point of failure
- Support app development, and ideally be established enough to have specialized developers
- Meet your company’s needs while enhancing its existing infrastructure and capabilities
With these guidelines as a starting point, you can be sure you’re choosing an IoT platform optimized for security, efficiency, and ease of use. You’ll also develop a richer base of knowledge about your chosen platform as time goes on. And you don’t have to go it alone! Resolvit’s depth of expertise in IoT platform integration means we can help you select and implement the platform that’s right for you.
Interested in bringing expert IoT platform integration skills to your organization? Contact us to begin the conversation.